For so many reasons we have all shifted to low energy use light bulbs throughout our home and there are some really great options out there today. But there are some really awful ones out there too.
I'll start with what I tell all my sellers, in every price range to do; "go get regular incandescent bulbs and replace every bulb in your house with the same thing". Yes, they burn hotter and use more energy, but the color of the light is warm and inviting, and when you are selling your home, you want it warm and inviting, right?
All of your can lights should be halogen flood lights, unless you are spotting a piece of art, and I prefer the ones with a cut glass lens. They emit beautiful warm light and the cut glass lens creates a bit of a sparkle. It really makes a huge difference. Again, I understand they use more energy and burn hotter, but they make a much better visual impact.
NEVER EVER EVER use CFL's (Chinese f'ing lights); These are the worst lights you could ever use in your home, in my very humble opinion. At least while your home is on the market.
- First, the light they emit is harsh and often too white.
- Second, the bulbs are ugly.
- Third, as fluorescents there is a slight flicker that is not completely noticeable but will make your eyes tire over time.
- Fourth, they often take time to warm up and get bright.
- They contain mercury and let's face it, no one disposes of them properly.
- Lastly, they are really really ugly. This comment deserved a second mention.
A little effort and expense in this department will help make your home feel great to a perspective buyer. And if you ask me to list your home, you can bet this is one of the first recommendations I will give you. It's one of my pet peeves in real estate.